Sunday, May 26, 2013

 End of year 1 Semester 2 at NUS. Another checkpoint reached. I am now a senior!! Funny how that doesn't even matter to me. I wrote a similar note in my facebook notes section but I think I will dedicate more time and space to that subject here.

Entering NUS was, to put it mildly, reallya step into a big abyss. Everything is so different from what happened in NS and JC. A whole melting pot of people from many countries, faculties and schools. It feels so bewildering, what with the need to auction for modules on CORS, the modular system of doing things and the many different requirements to get a degree. I am pursuing a degree in life science, of which I honestly have no idea what I will do in future with. Everytime someone asks me what my career prospects are, I just spout the usual drivel about trying to attain a master's and maybe proceeding into research or teaching. Truth is, I really don't know. Life science was something up and coming when I was in JC deciding to study Biology or Physics. The hard truth that a bachelor's will not get you anywhere in academia was really a big blow and I found myself wondering why am I studying so hard in such a content heavy course for something which will probably land an office job at best.

Anyway, aside from that, school has really been great. To be able to hang around intellectual company and have debates on anything to studying together for mid-terms and finals is really enriching after a mindless 2 years in the SAF. Hall life has also been great. Imagine the convenience of only having to wake up about 15 minutes before a lecture. For someone who lives in the East and has to travel 1 hour plus just to get to school, such a benefit is invaluable.

Unfortunately. NUS being so big also means its hard to make friends sometimes. Even people you know from orientation will slowly and inevetably drift apart. Lab partners, course mates seem to be just hi-bye people after the end of the module. That being said, I do enjoy practical lessons and tutorials, especially french. I do not regret taking it even though my CAP was sorta destroyed by that stupid B-.

I hope as I enter year 2, that I will continue to be able to keep contact with all of the people close to me, as I can see that friendships take work and effort.

Well I'll be flying off to France for a 1month immersion programme and I'm really looking forward to it. Europe! A month! In France! But the weirdest thing lately is that everytime I say I am going to France: "Beware of pickpockets!" "Be careful! People there are very sneaky" etc etc. Thanks..... I guess. Anyway here's to an awesome break. At least till ICT in July.

No comments: